- SOCIAL ISSUES-feeling alone or misunderstood; feeling excluded or not knowing how to connect to peers
- ANXIETY-feeling nervous, unsure of themselves, having stomach aches or headaches, not sleeping well, feels uncomfortable in new situations
- SADNESS-feeling down on themselves or inadequate, overall feelings of tiredness, not wanting to participate in social activities, low self esteem
- UNMOTIVATED-laying around their room, isolating themselves, engrossed in social media
Group members will learn:
- To build communication skills to develop healthier relationships and maintain their boundaries helping them to connect with their peers
- To recognize their inner critical voice and learn to “flip the script” in their head and kick the bully to the curb!
- Learn which coping skills work for them and when to use them
- Recognize their strengths and learn to celebrate them, accepting themselves for who they are
- To notice, label and understand their uncomfortable feelings rather than pretending that the feelings aren’t there leading to greater control of your feelings and behavior
- Manage stress and reduce anxiety, sadness and overwhelm by creating a skills toolbox
- Feel more confident and happier in their own skin
- help the group members realize they’re not alone.
- provide a safe judgement free zone for kids and teens to express themselves while they learn new skills to help improve communication, healthy boundaries,self-esteem, stress management, anxiety reduction and conflict resolution skills.
- help build self-acceptance, self-love, self-advocacy and assertiveness skills.
Who is this group for?
This group is for pre-teens ages 11-13 who are experiencing feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, low self-esteem, are hard on themselves, feel alone and are overwhelmed by their strong emotions.
Being a pre-teen isn’t easy these days. Feeling left out or misunderstood or having a hard time with peer connections can be devastating and can lead kids to feeling really down about themselves. Without support, these feelings can take a negative toll on someone’s level of anxiety, self esteem and overall mood. This group helps pre-teens build connections with others as they discover their own strengths and learn to accept themselves for who they are.
WHO will facilitate group: Josephine Cooper, Licensed Clinical Social Worker and group facilitator. See here for more about me.
WHAT are the details of group: This group is an open group that runs weekly for 8 weeks. This groups addresses topics such as: communication skills, peer pressure, conflict resolution, self-esteem, recognizing and building strengths, anxiety, self-respect, self-advocacy and empowerment, and stress management. This list is not exhaustive.
The different topics are presented using cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy and acceptance and commitment therapy techniques along with using some expressive arts and other creative hands on techniques. This group is dynamic and very interactive. The weekly topic and skills presented are discussed in a way that responds to and incorporates the struggles the members are bringing up weekly so the members are receiving help in the areas that they need.
Total Investment: All new clients will begin treatment with an intake session. The full group course is 8 group sessions following the intake appointment. The general group topics rotate every 8 weeks, always presented in different ways to address the particular needs of the group members. This allows members to continue with group past the 8 week period while continuing to learn new skills.
For those invested in completing the full group cycle, a monthly payment plan is offered in addition to weekly payment plan. The monthly plan offers the convenience of one payment monthly as well as a discount.
WHERE will group be held: 350 S. Main Street, Suite 306, Doylestown, PA 18901
WHEN does group begin: Next group series beginning Sunday, June 3rd. Enrolling now.
HOW many members in a group: Group can include up to 8 members.